POM5001 - Perioperative management of the cardiac patient
12 points, SCA Band 3, 0.250 EFTSL
|Faculty||Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences|
|Offered||Semester 1, 2019 (4 March 2018 - 31 May 2018)|
|Coordinator(s)||Dr Enjarn Lin, Dr Stuart Hastings|
Please note that Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for POM5001 (Perioperative Management of the Cardiac Patient), will apply to all students who have previously completed the Short Course in Perioperative Medicine prior to and including 2013. No RPL will apply for students completing the Perioperative Medicine Short course in 2014 or beyond.
Cardiac disease is increasing in prevalence and creates a number of perioperative diagnostic and management dilemmas. This unit aims to consolidate and extend the student's knowledge of the pathophysiology of cardiac disease, and review the perioperative interventions that can be applied to improve patient outcome.
- Correlate the pathogenesis of coronary artery disease, cardiac failure, hypertension, valvular lesions and pulmonary hypertension with patient history and clinical examination.
- Critically appraise the perioperative management plan for a patient with pre-existing cardiovascular disease who is undergoing non-cardiac surgery.
- Use the findings from perioperative cardiac investigations to stratify a patient's perioperative cardiovascular risk.
- Perform a thorough examination of the cardiac patient and formulate a suitable/appropriate/feasible management plan.
- Organize an appropriate perioperative plan to maximize the patient's perioperative outcome
- Work collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary Perioperative Medicine team
Format of unit
- Online course content.
- Long Essay (3000 words) = 28%
- Short Essay (1000 words) = 12%
- Group Case Assignments (2500 words per group) = 10%
- Two iSAP Case based assessments (2 x 20%) = 40%
- Online MCQ exam (30 questions, 1 hour) = 10%
List of Topics
Approximately 20 hours per week
Professor Paul Myles
Dr. Stuart Hastings
Dr. Enjarn Lin
Ask a question
Please click below to contact the Course Administrator: Ms. Aushra Saldukas