Master of Medicine - Elective Units
Conducted by the Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine (DEPM)
Select 24 credit points from below:
All units below are 6 credit points each except for MAP5000 and MAP5001 which are 12 credit points each.
- MPH5213 Research methods
- MPH5040 Introductory epidemiology
- MPH5041 Introductory biostatistics
- MPH5266 Clinical leadership and management
- MPH5267 Principles of healthcare quality improvement
- MPH5285 **Human factors for patient safety
- MAP5000 Research in advanced health professional practice
- MAP5001 Preparatory minor thesis
** Please note MPH5285 will not be offered in 2017
Elective Units are offered:
- Semester 1: MPH5040* and MPH5041*, MPH5266, MPH5285, MAP5000^^ and MAP5001^^
- Semester 2: MPH5040* and MPH5041*, MPH5213, MPH5267
* MPH5040 and MPH5041 are offered online only (no block days) in Semester 2. In Semester 1 they have Complusory Block Days.
^^ The MAP units are Research Units, and will take a year (i.e. two semesters) to complete. It requires students to review existing research literature, create a research question, select an appropriate methodology and finalise a research protocol for institutional ethics approval. The student then needs to implement the research protocol, gathering data, interrogating it using acceptable analytical processes and developing an informed and defensible conclusion thus creating a research report. In order to be accepted into these units, a research question must be presented to the Unit Coordinator/Chief Examiner which is Prof Paul Myles, Director of Anaesthesia and Perioperative Medicine, prior to enrolling into the units and then approved. These units present 12 credit points each.
All Elective units have mandatory block days to attend, for scheduling please refer to http://www.med.monash.edu.au/epidemiology/pgrad/
Although MPH5040 and MPH5041 are co-requisites, students can now enrol into these units individually. However this is not recommended and may make the study content more difficult.
Students can enrol into elective units through WES (web enrolment system), except for MPH5213 which requires the DEPM Postgraduate Office to complete as this unit has the prerequisites of MPH5040 and MPH5041.
Ask a question
For further information, or to contact the DEPM Postgraduate Office, please go to http://www.med.monash.edu.au/epidemiology/pgrad